Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A Day in the Life (0-3 Months)

These days with sweet Tatum are so precious and our schedule is already changing a bit from his newborn days.  I'd like to try to keep memory of a simple day for each phase of his first year - I'd meant to do it with a newborn day but those days were so foggy it got lost... after making three attempts! That day would have pretty much looked like up at 6am, bottle and then he'd fall asleep on me which was my favorite part of the day! The rest of the day consisted of a 3 ounce bottle exactly every three hours followed by a nap, a small time awake to cuddle and look at things (he loved looking out the window), getting fussy at night, waking until midnight for that final feed and up sometime over night - completely boring but such sweet moments.

I finally got myself together last Wednesday to keep track of things - our weeks are usually the same - two days we're home for the most part, two days we spend the morning at home and afternoon at the office and Fridays we usually do any errands and such.  It carries which day is home/office but last week we were home.

We're recently adjusting to the new routine that Tatum is slowly sleeping more hours at night and less during the day so my window to get things done is shorter, the to do list usually rolls over a few days and we spend much more time starting to "play."

Our mornings are the only thing that usually start out the same and have some kind of routine - once lunch hits we just go with the flow.  Tatum is usually up sometime between 7-8 and will lay and play with his hands for a little bit before crying to get up now that he's noticed his hands and his arms are not swaddled.  Depending on the morning I'll either get up before him to wake up, shower or catch up on social media in bed... Today I laid in bed as Tatum woke up overnight (on occasion makes it the whole night but most nights wakes up at 2am or 4am for a quick feed which Derek graciously does) and it usually takes me a bit to fall back to sleep.

After a diaper change he loves to kick in his crib for a bit then we head down so I can do a quick workout while he plays on his gym mat then it's time for his first bottle - I try to get as close to 9am as I can since he's not usually hungry right upon waking up due to the overnight feed and also so he stays on a similar schedule for the day (9a, noon, 3p, 5p, 7p, 9p) - took a little trial and error to get to this point.

Sometimes he falls asleep, sometimes he doesn't - he'll usually play a little bit while I tidy up the kitchen and unload the dishwasher and such (before him we ran it maybe a couple times a week, now every day!) then we both play a bit. Around 10ish we both get dressed for the day - he goes first and also always get his hands/face washed and hair brushed - he will usually lay in his crib long enough for me to get ready, put away laundry, tidy each of our rooms and charge his sleeps sock.  He fell asleep while playing so while he slept I did work in the office and decided to skip the errands we were about to head out on (and still a week later haven't completed, ha!) He's up and ready for another bottle about 11:30 - so we stick as close to our "schedule" as we can.

Like I said mornings are just about always the same - this is when things always vary.  I usually loose track of time and the whole afternoon  blends together - as it did today! He had an early afternoon nap so I did a few more things in the office, caught up on emails, worked on starting to plan his baptism, etc.  Derek was home today too so I took the chance to walk Stella about 1:30 - we usually go later in the day just before dark but Derek had to jump on a phone call when we usually head out.

The next little bit is filled with bottle, playing, crying... I don't even know - just blends together and sometimes I feel like the afternoon takes forever but then I also feel like all of a sudden it's dinner time.

About 3:30 everyday he goes down for his longest nap of the day - his picking, not ours - and only recently it's been this way.  While the morning/afternoon naps are about an hour or less this one can stretch up to almost two hours sometimes - if we're at work he falls asleep on the way home and sleeps in his car seat and if home he usually takes this one in his swing... we're slowly adjusting to the crib.  Today he slept until about 5 so this was my big window to get things done!  He woke up fussy and after a diaper and sitting back down to hold him he fell asleep right on me so we just sat and cuddled... and washed Vanderpump Rules - quiet time is rare!

Usually I like to get dinner together but since Tatum and I were so cozy Derek offered to - we've been eating light and healthy so I was hungry earlier than we usually eat (which can range from anywhere between 6-9pm depending on Tatum) so stuffed peppers early it was tonight!

With these long winter nights our nights are so much lazier than the rest of the year - and tonight was pretty standard for a week night - occasionally either Derek or I will be out or we'll all three go out as a family.  The standard like tonight is, I usually have a night to do list that never gets touched, we catch up on DVR, play in the playroom, etc.  Tatum loves bath time so about a month or so ago we started doing them at night 2-3 times a week so about 8:45 I do his bath and then Derek gets him ready for bed and does his nighttime bottle.  Tatum went down about 9:30 (anytime between 9-10 is pretty standard for him now) and I was finishing up fighting a cold so wasn't too far behind him (usually I try to get a few things done after he gets down)

Blog posts are usually far and few between at this point - I aim to do them the night before but usually it gets pushed to the next morning and then sometimes pushed a few days (today for example is being written late morning - something I'd never of done before) - the new way of life!

So there you have it - a very boring, standard day that I'm sure in a few months I'll completely forget about.

Happy Wednesday! xx


  1. Awwww love all the baby snuggles! And yay for tummy time so you can squeeze in a workout. I remember working out while Serena napped in her swing next to me. Miss those days already! And now I'm totally craving stuffed peppers. Yum <3
    Green Fashionista

  2. He is adorable! This is such a sweet (and exhausting) stage. So glad he's doing well and you all have a nice routine going!

    Elizabeth | The Blush Magnolia

  3. I love that you wrote this down! It’s amazing how much and how quickly you already forget things, even things that happened only a month ago. I literally felt like I was living bottle to bottle when I was on maternity leave, and that’s so awesome that Tatum has a long nap in the afternoons. The girls really aren’t too consistent with napping just yet.

  4. The days do seem so long yet so short at that age. You will be glad you documented this because I cannot remember what our days used to be like!!